Skip to main content

Dr. Scholl's Custom Fit Orthotic Inserts Aren't For Me

BzzAgent sent me a set of Dr. Scholl's Custom Fit Orthotic Inserts to try for free. My foot measuring experience was pleasant and easy, almost fun actually. I measured 120 probably because I'm small and don't put a lot of weight on my feet and my feet have normal arches. I tend to stand more on my heels than the balls of my feet when standing still, so I was hoping these would help relieve some of that pressure and disperse it more evenly.
I was pretty disappointed and want to speak to why I didn't feel the product's claims matched my experience since this is such a personal product and everyone is likely to have a unique experience. To understand my responses, here's some helpful info:

  • I am very thin and short (low weight)
  • My arches are considered "normal"
  • I wear a size 5-1/2 shoe and have narrow feet 
  • I only own one pair of traditional sneakers 

My Experience
First, Dr. Scholl's claims the inserts will fit easily into most shoes, including casual shoes, dress shoes, sneakers and work shoes. This was not my experience. They definitely too thick and wide for all of my dress shoes, work shoes, and casual shoes. My foot wouldn't stay in my shoes. I tried my Merrell sneakers which I use for long hikes and walks, camping and trips to the park and my foot wouldn't stay in those either, even when I took out the original insole that came with the shoe. At least with those, the shoes were finally wide enough to fit the Dr. Scholl's inserts. But you can see in the pictures below, the sneaker still looks a bit pushed open after the insert was placed inside the shoe.

  

Another product claim is that the inserts will stay securely in place, thanks to the ¾ length design. I'm not sure why the 3/4 length has anything to do with why they stay in place. Yes, the claim is accurate and they did stay in place, but the 3/4 length meant that when I took out the old insole, the shoe felt weird, even more uncomfortable then with the new insole over the old one.

my foot isn't all the way in the sneaker with the inserts inside
The inserts are supposed to provide heel cushioning to relieve foot pressure but I noticed how my heel felt even more pressure than without. I was hoping these would balance the pressure, but it seemed worse.

Lastly, the inserts are supposed to place your feet into a more supported position and disperses pressure levels more evenly. I just didn't have this experience. I felt like my heels were too high up so it was harder to walk normally.

At this point, I'm thinking maybe my feet are too small and narrow, my arches too "normal," and my body weight too light to get much benefit from the Dr. Scholl's inserts. I'm going to have my husband try them out because he has flatter feet and a lot more pressure to deal with. He's also more of a traditional sneaker-wearing guy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garnier Olia Hair Color Review

BzzAgent sent me a coupon to try Garnier Olia haircolor and I was super excited to try a new color. Anyone who knows me knows that I've been coloring my hair since I was 13 years old. I've tried many shades from bright blue, purple, and fire engine red to pricey complex process salon dye jobs. I've stuck to mostly brown shades for the past couple of years and wanted a change. Most of my adult life, I've used either reddish tint or bolder rusty reds, so it seemed like a fun idea to go back to that for a while. Honestly, it was a little challenging to pick a shade I wanted to try because my experience with box color "light" and "medium" seems different from the example photos on Olia boxes. The brown and red shades look darker than what I would call "light," for example. At Walmart, there were 14 of the 24 Olia shades in stock, which narrowed down my choice. Since I was fearful of trying any light colors in case they were too light for

Switching from Olay Regenerist to L'Oreal RevitaLift

I've been using Olay Regenerist DNA Superstructure UV Cream for years now. I love the SPF 25 (it's now 30) the thick moisturizing quality, and how fresh my skin feels once it's absorbed. It's really thick, so it tends to need more time before I put on foundation, and it does leave my skin a touch lighter than it is in real life. The sunscreen ingredients mean this moisturizer smells just like traditional sun protection, and even a bit like my daughter's diaper cream (ick), but I know it's doing it's job and I've been really happy with it. I intended to buy some more during a trip to Walmart today, but L'Oreal RevitaLift Triple Power Day Lotion had a $2 off coupon attached, and the base price was less than the Olay product, so I took a chance and bought  the RevitaLift instead. L'Oreal's bottle is prettier with a similar pump mechanism. Like Olay, the product is in an opaque container, which helps keep the contents from being af

eSalon.com Hair Color Review

It's now May 2014 and since my original review, I've had a chance to fly out to eSalon and see how orders are processed, learn the right way to apply color, and find out the differences between box color and eSalon color.  I learned a lot and have a totally different perspective now and would definitely recommend giving eSalon a try. When you order from eSalon, be sure to upload a current, well-lit photo of your hair and don't hesitate to ask their color experts for advice. The eSalon team are experts. Let them help you find the right shade and apply color correctly. It's a learning process if you're used to box color products. Last August, I tried  eSalon . At the time, I found the color was fine in that it was even and matched what I had seen online for that shade, but it wasn't really what I was going for. eSalon's customer service was helpful, with a colorist calling to explain how their product differs from what I buy in-store and the risks of g