Skip to main content

Coloring My Hair at Home: eSalon Root Touch-Up

Two months after having my hair colored at eSalon headquarters, my hair still looked pretty good. I had some root growth and gray hairs appearing at the temples, but otherwise, the color was lovely, rich, shiny, and not brassy. After a week in the California desert visiting my in-laws, using terrible hotel hair products (my bad for leaving my good stuff at home), I was a bit bleached out on top. It was definitely time for a root touch up!

before coloring
My eSalon kit had arrived while I was traveling, so as soon as I got home, I grabbed the kit and made the grey and the sun-bleached hair disappear.


I was super careful in reading the instructions because I wanted to be sure I'm touching up the color without over darkening the ends.


Once thing that is new since I first posted about eSalon is the gloves all come in one bag now. They supply two pair but rather than packaging them separately and wasting plastic, they're combined in one set. Perfect!


I still have the bowl, brush, and timer from when I colored my sister's hair, so I used those for my root touchup. It's way easier to work on roots with a brush compared with the bottle and hands.


I first applied some Vaseline-like goo to keep the color from dying my skin. I mostly put it along my hairline and the back of my ears though I should have remembered to hit the back of my neck too. If you have long hair, definitely don't forget your neck and shoulders.


Then I mixed the color and applied it to my roots. This took a while since I have a LOT of hair. If I went to the salon, my stylist, Kristan, would probably book twice the time of a typical color appointment.


Once the roots were covered, I pulled it down a bit with my fingers since I did have so much lightened from my desert vacation. Keep in mind, I'm talking an inch or two, not the entire length of hair. I then waited the amount of time in my instructions before doing the color rinse in the shower. That part is messy but really important for even color and shine.


I do use eSalon's styling products for shine and conditioning, so I mixed a little of those together and applied to my wet hair. I then blew it dry with a round brush and flat ironed it smooth. I don't usually blow it out, but it stays straighter longer when I do that compared with ironing air dried hair. Below is a pic on a nice sunny day, about 24 hours after coloring.


So here's the before from earlier and an after photo (in the same room indoors):

I love the color. It's still just what I want, just like how it came out when the eSalon colorist did my hair, and it looks super natural. When my sister first saw it in person, she said it looks great and it's just what I've always said I've wanted my hair to be - reddish brown without being brassy. Warm, but not orange and brown, but not mousey.

I set my reorder schedule to be 10 weeks, figuring that's about the time I'll want to touch up the roots and grey. In the meantime, I'll keep using Tinted Love a couple times a month just on the ends and middle of the hair to enhance the color and keep it from from getting brassy in between coloring. My stylist suggested Aveda's clove conditioner as an option as well, but that's a bit pricey. I'll have to do a price per ounce comparison and see which makes the most sense. 

There's no question in terms of actually coloring my hair, eSalon is definitely more affordable than going to the salon and better quality than going to the drugstore aisle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garnier Olia Hair Color Review

BzzAgent sent me a coupon to try Garnier Olia haircolor and I was super excited to try a new color. Anyone who knows me knows that I've been coloring my hair since I was 13 years old. I've tried many shades from bright blue, purple, and fire engine red to pricey complex process salon dye jobs. I've stuck to mostly brown shades for the past couple of years and wanted a change. Most of my adult life, I've used either reddish tint or bolder rusty reds, so it seemed like a fun idea to go back to that for a while. Honestly, it was a little challenging to pick a shade I wanted to try because my experience with box color "light" and "medium" seems different from the example photos on Olia boxes. The brown and red shades look darker than what I would call "light," for example. At Walmart, there were 14 of the 24 Olia shades in stock, which narrowed down my choice. Since I was fearful of trying any light colors in case they were too light for

Switching from Olay Regenerist to L'Oreal RevitaLift

I've been using Olay Regenerist DNA Superstructure UV Cream for years now. I love the SPF 25 (it's now 30) the thick moisturizing quality, and how fresh my skin feels once it's absorbed. It's really thick, so it tends to need more time before I put on foundation, and it does leave my skin a touch lighter than it is in real life. The sunscreen ingredients mean this moisturizer smells just like traditional sun protection, and even a bit like my daughter's diaper cream (ick), but I know it's doing it's job and I've been really happy with it. I intended to buy some more during a trip to Walmart today, but L'Oreal RevitaLift Triple Power Day Lotion had a $2 off coupon attached, and the base price was less than the Olay product, so I took a chance and bought  the RevitaLift instead. L'Oreal's bottle is prettier with a similar pump mechanism. Like Olay, the product is in an opaque container, which helps keep the contents from being af

eSalon.com Hair Color Review

It's now May 2014 and since my original review, I've had a chance to fly out to eSalon and see how orders are processed, learn the right way to apply color, and find out the differences between box color and eSalon color.  I learned a lot and have a totally different perspective now and would definitely recommend giving eSalon a try. When you order from eSalon, be sure to upload a current, well-lit photo of your hair and don't hesitate to ask their color experts for advice. The eSalon team are experts. Let them help you find the right shade and apply color correctly. It's a learning process if you're used to box color products. Last August, I tried  eSalon . At the time, I found the color was fine in that it was even and matched what I had seen online for that shade, but it wasn't really what I was going for. eSalon's customer service was helpful, with a colorist calling to explain how their product differs from what I buy in-store and the risks of g